Sunday, June 16, 2013

Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew


If you haven't already figured it out from reading my blog, I love barbecue. When I received my most recent copy of Texas Monthly, I was excited to try several of the newer places in Austin that made their list of the Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas. Lucky for me, I was attending a conference located in Austin. One of the joints that made the top 50 was Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew, so I dragged some colleagues of mine there one night after our conference.

Unlike most of the acclaimed Austin barbecue joints, this one stays open for dinner. As soon as you walk into the building, the cafeteria style line takes you closer to the smells of smoked meat. I ordered the three meat plate of brisket, turkey, and pork ribs. I also added a link of the Switch original sausage. For my sides I ordered mac and cheese and beans. My colleagues and I sat down in anticipation of barbecue that looked and smelled great.
Switch Original Sausage
Now the only thing left, was the taste test. The brisket was very good with a thin layer of fat at the top. It was well smoked with one of the thickest smoke rings I have seen on a brisket.   The pork ribs were top notch as well. They came of the bone easily and had a flavor that was both sweet and peppery. The Switch original sausage was fantastic and lived up to the designation of it being "hot and spicy." It tasted similar to a hot link, but had the consistency of sausage and looked like sausage. The one disappointing meat was the turkey. It was very moist, but you could barely taste the smoke. The mac and cheese was great, but the beans were average at best.
Brisket, Pork Ribs, Turkey, Beans, and Mac n' Cheese
After this visit, I can see how this place made the Texas Monthly Top 50. Three of the four meats were fantastic and although I didn't use much of the sauce, it was thin and flavorful. I see the popularity of this joint increasing significantly over the next few months. It wasn't packed while we were there, but the crowd was pretty steady. The staff was friendly as well and even gave one of my friends a sample of the meat before she ordered it. Friendly service and good food will have me coming back and I recommend this place to anyone who doesn't like waiting in lines at some of the other Austin establishments.

Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew
Livin The Good Life Rating= 3
Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment