Friday, January 3, 2014

Rusty Taco

Restaurants that specialize in tacos seem to be popping up everywhere in DFW these days.  It seems like every time I turn around, a new Tin Star, Fuzzy's, Torchy's, etc. is opening up.  Another joint that seems to be expanding rapidly in the last couple of years is Rusty Taco.  On a recent Saturday, I decided to pop in and see how good this place was.

I was in Plano a few days ago, so I stopped at the Rusty Taco on Coit Road around lunchtime.  The place was very busy and I had a short wait in line at the counter.  When I finally got to the cash register, I ordered Chips and Salsa and 3 different tacos.  I then went and got my drink as I waited for a table to become available.
Chips and Salsa
About the time two people left their table, my order was up.  I grabbed my order and sprinted to the table before someone else took it.  I then sat down to start eating.  The chips and salsa were somewhat disappointing.  The chips were okay, but the salsa was very bland and did not have much "kick" to it.
Brisket Taco
The first taco I tried was the Brisket Taco, which was shredded beef topped with queso fresca, onion, and cilantro.  It was very good and the ingredients blended well together.  The next taco I tried was the Picadillo Taco that included seasoned ground beef, potatoes, onion, and cilantro.  The beef was not seasoned enough to my liking, but once again the ingredients meshed well.  The cilatnro really gave it a lot of flavor that was lacking in the seasoned beef.  
Picadillo Taco
The final taco I tried was the BBQ Brisket Taco and it was spectacular.  It had the same shredded brisket as the other brisket taco, but it was topped with barbecue sauce and cole slaw.  The sauce was really good and had a hint of both chipotle and Dr. Pepper. This particular taco was by far the highlight of the meal.
BBQ Brisket Taco
Overall, I enjoyed my visit to Rusty Taco.  Although I was not impressed with the chips and salsa, the tacos were very good.  It was very busy when I dined there, but the staff gets your food out very quickly.  I will be going back, because I want to try some of the other tacos and get another of the BBQ Brisket Tacos.

Rusty Taco
http://www.therustytaco.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating =3

Rusty Taco on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment