Thursday, January 1, 2015

Arnie's Barn

My view while eating at Arnie's Barn
While visiting Big Cedar Lodge, it was recommend that we visit Top of the Rock.  Since the golf course and nature area was just down the road, we drove up there around lunchtime.  Although there are a few restaurants to choose from at Top of the Rock, only Arnie's Barn was open for lunch.  Arnie's Barn is a Mexican restaurant that is housed in a 150 year old barn from Pennsylvania that was dissembled, transported, and reassembled at Top of the Rock site.  This historic barn also housed the pro shop and overlooked the beautiful driving range.
Interior of Arnie's Barn
Being creatures of habit, we started with the Wood Baked Queso.  This dish was made with a blend of Mexican cheeses, house-made chorizo, charred peppers, charred onions, and topped with cilantro and queso fresco.  The first taste of this queso, sent my taste buds to their happy place.  Despite it having a different texture from most queso I have had, the flavor was fantastic.  Not to be outdone, the chips were good as well.
Wood Baked Queso
For my entree, I ordered the Braised Short Rib Enchiladas.  These enchiladas were rolled in corn tortillas and topped with Chihuahua cheese and a roasted tomato chipotle sauce.  Much like the queso, the enchiladas were muy bueno.  The braised short rib was cooked to tender perfection and the roasted tomato chipotle sauce had just enough kick to please this Texan.  The dish was also served with refried beans, toasted cumin and green chili rice, and Mexico City street corn.  All the sides were great, but the corn was my favorite of the three.  
Braised Short Rib Enchiladas with refried beans, rice, and Mexico City street corn
My wife had the Carne Guisada Tacos that included the same three sides.  She loved her meal as well and the one taco I tried was very good, but not as good as my enchiladas.  The kids enjoyed the quesadillas and quickly polished off their meals.
Carne Guisada Tacos
I must say that I was pleasantly surpassed at just how good the Mexican food was at Arnie's Barn.  This meal was probably the best Mexican food I have tried outside of the American Southwest.  The service was grade A+ and the setting inside the old barn was very unique.  If you are in the mood for Mexican food (and in the area), I would highly recommend a visit to Arnie's Barn.
Kid's Quesadillas
Arnie's Barn
http://www.topoftherock.com/Page/Dining.aspx
Livin the Good Life Rating=4
Arnie's Barn on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment