Saturday, March 7, 2015

Ace's Ice House and Chop Shop

One of DFWs newest restaurants, Ace's Ice House and Chop Shop, opened it's doors in January.  The Frisco eatery claims to have a chef driven menu that serves up some Texas favorites.  Chad Brown and Cutter Brewer serve as executive chefs and they do have a menu that puts some interesting twists on some classic Southern dishes.
Bar Area at Ace's-My youngest saw me taking a picture and assumed she needed to be in the pic
One of the appetizers that intrigued me was the Bird and Waffle.  The dish included 4 petite waffles, habanero maple syrup, and the choice of hand breaded chicken or quail breast.  I actually ordered it with the quail, but they ended up bringing out the chicken.  Since I was hungry and love chicken and waffles anyway, I decided to eat what was brought out.  The chicken had a terrific batter and the habanero maple syrup was great, but the waffles were pretty basic.
Bird and Waffle
The first entree I tried was the Chicken Fried Wagyu Steak.  The hand breaded 7 oz. Wagyu sirloin was topped with whiskey mushroom gravy and served with garlic mashed potatoes.  This chicken fried steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare and had outstanding flavor (both the breading and the steak itself).  As good as the steak was, the whiskey mushroom gravy was even better.  My only complaint with the gravy is that I wished they would have included more gravy on the dish.  The mashed potatoes were disappointing in comparison to the chicken fried steak and were a little bland.
Wagyu Chicken Fried Steak and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
The second entree we sampled was the Big Block Grass-Fed Angus Burger.  I elected to get the burger with bacon and cheddar cheese as add-ons.  The burger had a nice charbroiled flavor and was extremely juicy.  I also really enjoyed the large pieces of bacon and the sourdough bun.  Steak cut Cajun fries were served with the burger and they could have used a little more Cajun seasoning.
Big Block Grass-Fed Angus Burger
I only sampled three items on my first visit to Ace's, but I think the place shows a lot of promise.  The food was mostly good and outside the mix-up on my order of bird and waffle, the service was commendable as well.  Ace's has a fun ambiance, a good-sized bar area, and a patio.  The restaurant would be a good place to eat with the family or hang out with friends for a Happy Hour.  In a city that has more than it's fair share of chain restaurants, it is nice to see an original restaurant that puts a little twist on some classic dishes.

Ace's Ice House and Chop Shop
http://acesicehouse.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=3
Ace's Ice House & Chop Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment