Monday, January 14, 2013

My Top Ten Books of 2012



Now that I have children, my wife and I don’t get to go out as much as we used to.  Since we spend a lot more time at home, I have started reading a lot more over the last few years.  I decided to compile a list of my favorite books that were released in 2012.  I like a variety of genres, as you will be able to tell from my list.   In no particular order, these are my top ten favorite books of 2012.

Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
By Sean Parnell
Non-fiction

My review: Lieutenant Sean Parnell's account of his platoon's deployment on the Afghan-Pakistani border is one of the best accounts I have read about the war in Afghanistan. It is a story of heroism, but Parnell is very humble in the book and always gives credit to his men rather than himself. This book really gives a lot of insight into the every day life of a soldier fighting insurgents. It describes the bonds within the platoon, the rivalry with other platoons, and the mind numbing rules of engagement that our troops are required to abide by. The book also gives the reader a sense of the Afghan people and their culture. This is probably the seventh or eighth book I have read about the Afghan campaign, but it is unquestionably the best account I have read so far.

Live by Night
By Dennis Lehane
Fiction

My review: Dennis Lehane continues to show why he is one of America's best writers. Regardless of the era, Lehane always weaves an interesting tale. Live By Night follows Joe Coughlin along his meteoric rise as an American gangster. Those that have read The Given Day, will recognize Joe as the youngest son of Boston Police Captain, Thomas Coughlin. Joe was only a fringe character in The Given Day and it is not necessary to read that book before reading Live By Night. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the themes woven within the plot. Lehane paints a vivid picture of prison life in the 1920s and power of the criminal underground following the Volstead Act. When Joe is able to leave prison, he must endure the Florida heat, racial tension, the KKK, the emptiness of a broken heart, and other gangsters who don't like the success of Joe and his crew. This was a brilliant novel and I anxiously await Lehane's next book.

The Round House (Winner of the 2012 National Book Award)
By Louise Erdrich
Fiction

My Review: The Round House was not what I expected, but a good read nonetheless. Louise Erdrich really takes the reader into the life of a 13 year old member of the Ojibwe tribe named Joe. The book is a coming of age tale set in 1988. The plot centers around Joe's mother being raped and his family struggling with the aftermath. There is little mystery in the novel, because the attacker is identified early on in the novel. Even though the reader finds out early on who attacked Joe's mom, the book takes you on a journey through heartache, anger, healing, and the bureaucratic red tape that surrounds those that live on tribal land. I also thought the ending was perfect, although somewhat sad.

Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter
By Steven Rinella
Non-fiction

My Review: Meat Eater is a fantastic read that I would recommend to anyone. Outdoor writer, chef, and TV show host, Steven Rinella, shares the hunting stories from his past that have molded him into the person that he is today. He explains his love for hunting and the outdoors when he was growing up in Michigan. He explores hunting for various types of game and the things he learned from these various experiences. He reflects deeply on hunting in general, trapping, fishing (which he considers a form of hunting), hunting ethics, the beliefs of non-hunters, and culinary tips for preparing wild game. Much like his previous book, American Buffalo, Rinella takes us on a spiritual journey through the past and through our own souls. I enjoy Rinella's writing and enjoy watching his TV show (also called MEATEATER). This was a heartwarming and amazing read that makes me anxiously look forward to his next book.


The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate
By Robert D. Kaplan
Non-fiction

My Review: The Revenge of Geography takes geopolitics to an entirely new level. Robert Kaplan splits the book into essentially three parts. The first part looks at geopolitics in general and specifically looks at the theories of well-respected intellectuals of the past. The second part of the book looks at the various areas of the world (Russia, China, India, Iran, etc.) where there is potential for conflict with neighboring countries or political unrest within. The last third of the book deals primarily with the United States and what our future might hold if we continue with current involvement abroad and what that might mean at home. I have always enjoyed the writings of Robert Kaplan and this book did not disappoint. If you are looking for an easy read, this book is not for you. This book actually created more questions for me than answers and I had to stop reading several times to research events and people Kaplan referenced. The Kaplan quote I thought summed up this book the best was, "...we must never give in to geography, but must be fundamentally aware of it in our quest for a better world."

Insurgent (Book 2 of the Divergent Series)
By Veronica Roth
Fiction

My Review: Dystopia at its best.  If you are a fan of the dystopia genre and have not read the first two books in the Divergent series, I highly recommend that you get started.  Roth has produced another winner in the Divergent Series. Insurgent answered a lot of questions that Divergent did not. It also has a cliff hanger ending that makes you anxiously await the final book in the trilogy. This book was action-packed from beginning to end and there were very few lulls in this novel. As much as I liked this book, I did find that I had a harder time relating to the "new" Tris, who was still emotionally scarred by an action in the previous novel. I can't wait to see what Roth has in store for the readers in book three!

The Blood of Heroes: The 13-Day Struggle for the Alamo and the Sacrifice That Forged a Nation.
By Jim Donovan
Non-fiction

My Review: This is one of the better books I have read on the history of the Alamo and war for Texas Independence. James Donovan does a great job of researching a variety of sources and giving the reader an in-depth look at the Alamo and those that died defending it. I liked this book much better than Donovan's first book, A Terrible Glory, which was a look at Custer's last stand. The one thing I did not like about the book is that I thought it could have used more maps in the book. It would have been useful to have a map that showed Mexican troop placements during the siege and the movements on the day of battle. A map of Texas with towns, colonies, forts, etc. from 1836 would have been useful too. When he mentioned them in the book, I knew where they were located, but it would have been a helpful visual for those not familiar with that area of Texas. I would recommend this book to any person that is intrigued by the story of the Alamo and it's defenders.

The Shadow Catcher: A U.S. Agent Infiltrates Mexico’s Deadly Crime Cartels
By Hipolito Acosta
Non-fiction

My Review: Former Federal Agent, Hipolito Acosta, gives an insightful look into the world of human smuggling. Acosta had an interesting career and earned many accolades for his investigations and undercover operations. I think he does a great job of telling his life story. He was a very brave man who risked his life many times to help bring fugitives to justice and enforce U.S. laws.

I Suck at Girls
By Justin Halpern
Non-fiction

My Review: Justin Halpern's second book is absolutely hilarious. I was a huge fan of his first book and this book did not disappoint. His father's wisdom is shared throughout the book. It is laugh out loud funny. Halpern has a great sense of humor and a knack for storytelling. This is a quick and enjoyable read. This book was every bit as funny as his first book.

Gone Girl
By Gillian Flynn
Fiction


My Review: Gone Girl was literally a novel that I could not put down. Flynn's storytelling is spectacular. Nick Dunne is the hometown golden boy who has returned home to care for his ailing parents and is the number one suspect in his wife's disappearance. Amy Dunne is his uprooted wife who was dragged from her beloved New York City to Missouri and has gone missing. Each chapter alternates from the point of view of the husband to the point of view of the wife (going back in time to when they first met and eventually getting to the present). This thriller is unlike any I have ever read and I loved everything about it up to the ending. As amazing as the book was, I detested the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment