Monday, January 21, 2013

Why I Like to Hunt


There are few things I like to do more than hunting.  Although I love to read, play video games (especially the various Call of Duty games), watch sports, and occasionally play tennis, there is nothing that I enjoy more than hunting.  I love being in the outdoors in pursuit of game.  Although I will occasionally bird hunt, my quarry of choice is deer. 
A lot of people out there have misconceptions about hunters and hunting.  Some think that we are Neanderthals; others think we only hunt to put trophies on the wall and are cruel people who like to kill innocent animals (now worries there as I only harvest animals that are guilty of being tasty).  These misconceptions could not be farther from the truth with most hunters.  I would like to share why I like to hunt.  I will also share a few pictures I have taken or were taken of me over the last few years.
Me hunting a ranch that bordered Palo Duro Canyon
Another view of Palo Duro Canyon
I Enjoy Being Out of the City
           
Waking up at 5 a.m. to be in a stand, tripod, or blind before sunrise may not appeal to everyone, but it allows hunters to get settled in before deer start to move in the morning.  Few things are better than watching the sun rise or set over the Texas horizon.  I am also of the opinion that the best time to view nature is the first thirty minutes after sunrise and the first thirty minutes before sunset.  This is when you will see a lot of animals moving across the landscape.

Thick brush in Palo Duro Canyon
My view for Thanksgiving lunch in 2011
I like scanning the terrain for animals and just taking it all in.  Hunting is a spiritual thing to me.   Being out in nature, I feel closest to God.  When I harvest an animal, I feel blessed that I have been provided the opportunity to take an animal that will provide nourishment for my family.  Nothing is better than getting away from the city for a few days and relaxing in the outdoors.  Every time I get back from hunting, I fell refreshed and rejuvenated.  I just wish I could go hunting more often.
Texas sunset in Eastland County
My view from a blind 
I Enjoy Viewing Wildlife

This may seem odd for some to believe, but hunting isn’t just about the kill.  I have had many memorable hunting trips where I never even pulled the trigger.  During some trips, the only "shooting" I do is with a camera.  Just watching animals interact in the wild is a great experience.  There have been many times I have seen multiple animals, but never pulled the trigger. 
Young Whitetail buck who just exited the brush
Same Whitetail buck eating a turnip in a field
Most hunters don’t shoot every deer they see and I am no different.  There have been times when I have been hunting for a mature buck and all I see are does and young bucks.  Other times, I am specifically looking for a mature doe to put meat in the freezer, but I only see young ones.    Even while targeting a specific animal, it doesn’t stop me from enjoying the beautiful creatures that God has put on this earth.  Even watching squirrels, birds, or rabbits can be enjoyable.
Mule Deer does going under an electric fence

Young Mule Deer buck

Same Mule Deer buck jumping a fence just 20 yards from my pop-up blind
I Enjoy the Fellowship

My father loved to hunt and shared his love for the outdoors with me.  Some of my best memories as a young man were hunting with my dad and grandfather.  I enjoyed hunting with my family, whether I was hunting deer or just hunting rabbits and prairie dogs behind our house.  I feel blessed to have grown up on a farm and had the opportunity to hunt dove, quail, and pheasant on our family land.  Although there were no deer on our land, my dad would take me deer hunting when he had the opportunity.  I plan on sharing my love of hunting with my daughters and I hope to instill my love for the outdoors and hunting in them.
My dad's best Whitetail he killed in Floyd County
When I got a little older, I also was able to enjoy hunting with my brother and friends.  Even today I enjoy hunting with friends and making new friends on hunting trips that I take.  After a day of hunting, it is always nice to set around the cabin and share a meal with other hunters.  These times of fellowship and stories are always the perfect end to a day of hunting.
Cabin in Eastland County
I Like Eating Wild Game

If I did not enjoy eating wild game, I would not hunt.  Venison is just about the healthiest red meat you can eat and it is absolutely delicious.  There are few things I enjoy eating than a free range, hormone free, and organic venison dish.  I enjoy chicken fried venison, venison fajitas, venison breakfast sausage, smoked sausage, jerky, and ground venison. My wife and I have made tacos, meatloaf, and chili from ground venison. 
Venison steaks and venison sausage to go along with some chicken
Chicken Fried Venison Backstraps
I often get asked how I could enjoy “cleaning” a deer.  Although it can be a time consuming task, there is nothing distasteful about it.  Gutting, skinning, and quartering a deer may seem gross to some, but it is not different than handling meat one gets from the grocery store. I enjoy eating dove, quail, and pheasant as well.  Duck is not a favorite of mine, which is why I don’t hunt ducks.  Well that and the fact you are usually cold and wet while hunting for waterfowl.  I can handle being cold, but cold and wet is not much fun.
Cleaning a buck I killed in Eastland County
There are many other reasons that make hunting enjoyable, but those are the primary reasons.  I am not some bloodthirsty cave man looking to put heads on a wall.  I am just a guy who enjoys the outdoors, spending time with other hunters, and eating what I cook.  This was the first year in several years that I was unable to go hunting due to many reasons.  My second daughter was born in August and hospital bills took away my hunting funds.  We also had to buy two sets of tires, a new hot water heater, and a new fence in the months prior to my daughter's birth.  Hopefully we will be blessed in 2013 and I will once again be able to pursue my favorite hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment