Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mama Fu's

When looking over my blog one day, I realized that I have never blogged about an Asian restaurant.  That seemed odd to me considering how much I love to eat Thai and Chinese food.  I tend to find a restaurant or two that I really like and then frequent those without really bothering to blog about them.  Since I didn't have a blog post about and Asian restaurant, I decided I would rectify the situation by trying a new place.

Mama Fu's is a small chain that opened up it's first DFW location in Frisco.  I dined there for dinner one night and was surprised to see that they had a hostess and waiters.  I was expecting a place where you order at the counter and seat yourself.  Apparently you order and pay at the counter for lunch, but you get a full wait staff for dinner.  I happened to have a short window for eating on this particular night, but I was quickly seated and my order was placed within minutes.
Dining area at Mama Fu's
The menu had several different Chinese dishes, but also had Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean food as well.   I started off with a cup of wanton soup.  The chicken wanton was flavorful, but the broth was enhanced by having plenty of carrots, scallions, and spinach.  Too many Chinese food places just give you a wanton in broth with a couple of tiny pieces of vegetables, so I was pleased to see that this was not the case at Mama Fu's.
Wanton Soup
For my entree, the Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken.  The dish was piled high with onions, celery, water chestnuts, red bell peppers, peanuts, and chili peppers.  If you looked hard enough, you could even find a piece of chicken or two.  The dish had good flavor, but was not as spicy as I had anticipated.  On the menu, the dish had the little flame beside the name which was supposedly the "whoa mama" rating in the heat department.  Despite the rating on the menu, the dish was very mild.  
Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken
I left Mama Fu's with that glass half full feeling (or perhaps it was a glass half empty feeling).  Although I would have preferred that my entree had more chicken and was a little spicier, it was still a flavorful dish.  The waiter was friendly and had adequate knowledge of the menu, but I did have to wait several minutes to have my tea re-filled while I was eating my entree.  I guess I should count myself lucky that the dish wasn't spicier, because I didn't have a drink to quench my thirst for a good portion of my meal.  There are several items on the menu that I would still like to try, so I do see a return visit in my future.

Mama Fu's
http://www.mamafus.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating=2

Mama Fu's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment