Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hula Hut

The Fall of 2015 brought several new restaurants to the DFW area, but the biggest one in Little Elm had to be the addition of Hula Hut.  Many families, including my own, love to visit Hula Hut in Austin because it is a fun place to dine with families and the food isn't bad either.  The self proclaimed Tex Mex restaurant with a Polynesian twist, opened its second location on, this one on Lake Lewisville, and brought it's Mexonesian cuisine to the DFW area.
Having dined there several times in the past few months, I can say that I like the food here quite a bit and it is much better than the majority of the chain Mexican restaurants in the area.  While some items are better than others, none of them are bad.  Below is my opinion on a few of the items I have recently had at the Little Elm Location:

Chips and Queso-Chips are good enough, but the queso is really good.  It has a great flavor with quite a bit of kick.  If you don't like spicy foods, you might want to stay away from this quest.
Chicken Tortilla Soup-The bowl you receive is about double the size of most soup bowls and filled with plenty of chicken, avocado, cheese, cilantro, poblano peppers, corn, tomatoes, and tortilla strips.  The broth is great too.  I actually had this as a meal one time and was barely able to finish the huge portion.

Grilled Fish Tacos-These tacos include fish, shredded lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapeño-lime sauce served in flour tortillas.  I thought they had great flavor, but I would have preferred more fish.  There were so many veggies, that I could barely taste the fish at all.  

Pork Burrito- By far, my favorite item I have tried here and it is huge.  The large flower tortilla was stuffed with slow roasted pork, black beans, Monterrey Jack cheese, green chiles and roasted corn that was topped with Hatch Green Chile and Queso Blanco sauces. This burrito is served with rice, which is a little bland, but the burrito itself is a cornucopia of flavors.
Hula Hut Burger-This is one item that I probably wouldn't order again.  The burger was mediocre at best and the fries were less than spectacular.  
Since the portions are so large, I have yet to try any desserts at this location.  The kids seemed to enjoy the items they have ordered from the kids menu and the service is generally good.  Be warned that it can get very busy on weekends (an hour or more wait) and the service seems to suffer somewhat at these times.  Overall, I think the Hula Hut is a fun restaurant that serves good food (generous portions too) and is very family friendly.
My daughters in front of the volcano
Hula Hut
http://www.hulahutlittleelm.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=3
Hula Hut Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment