Friday, January 15, 2016

Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue

Rumors have been going around that there is now some high quality barbecue to be found in Lubbock, Texas at a place called Evie Mae's, which is technically located in Wolfforth.  Having grown up on the South Plains and frequently visiting family in the area as an adult, I have sampled my fair share of barbecue in the Lubbock area.  My experience has been that there are some good barbecue joints in the area, but not a truly great barbecue place.  Having read good things about Evie Mae's, I decided to try it during a recent trip to visit family in Lubbock.
L-R=Pulled Pork, Brisket, and Sausage
I ordered the three meat plate with sliced brisket, sausage, pulled pork, and green chile cheese grits.  Below is my opinion of each item:
Brisket-The thick cut slices were a real treat.  They had a great smoke ring, a smoky flavor that wasn't overly smoky, terrific bark, and well rendered fat.  By far, this was the best brisket I have ever had in this part of Texas and it literally melted in you mouth.
Sausage-Nice flavor with a good snap to the casing.  It had a little spice to it, but nothing overpowering.  The portion size was good too, as they gave you 1.5 links with the three meat plate.
Pulled Pork-Tender and moist with a good flavor.  I have preferred a little more bark and more of the smokiness I tasted in the brisket, but it was still well above average for the area.
Green Chile Cheese Grits-Absolutely fantastic.  This side had just the right amount of both cheese and green chiles.  I could eat this every day for the rest of my life!
Green Chile Cheese Grits
The only thing I regret is that I didn't try the ribs.  Several people around me had them and they looked absolutely mouth-watering good.  It seems the rumors are true and Evie Mae's does serve up some top notch barbecue.  Although Evie Mae's is technically a barbecue trailer, they do have indoor seating available in a building that is behind the trailer.  I travel to the Lubbock area fairly frequently, so I am very glad to know that I have a fantastic barbecue option to choose from when the family is trying to decide where to eat.

Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue
http://www.eviemaesbbq.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=4
Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment