Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hutchins BBQ

Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, Texas is the barbecue restaurant I frequent the most.  It also made the 2013 list of Texas Monthly's Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas.  Since moving to McKinney five years ago, we average eating here at least once a month.   Hutchins is very close to our church and it is a perfect place to have Sunday lunch.
Menu board
Even thought I had eaten barbecue the previous day, I accepted my father-in-laws invitation to go to Hutchins after church on Sunday.  
This was the first time I had been to Hutchins since early May and I noticed there was a much larger crowd than usual at 11:15 a.m.  It looks like the review in Texas Monthly has caused their business to pick up considerably.  Hutchins has a large variety of meats and sides to choose from, so I always have a tough time deciding.  On this particular day, I got the two meat plate with brisket and St. Louis style ribs.  For my sides, I got mac n' cheese and pinto beans.  I also got one of their cornbread muffins, which are always delicious.  Everything I had was very good, but I was particularly impressed with the ribs on this visit.  They had a great glaze, a smoky flavor, and easily pulled off the bone.  The mac n' cheese was a little different from previous visits because they had added bacon to it.  I really liked this change.
Brisket and Ribs Plate
Beans and bacon mac n' cheese
My wife got the smoked chicken with mac n' cheese, green beans, and a roll.  She said it was very good and also liked the change to the mac n' cheese.  I rarely get smoked chicken at barbecue restaurants, but I occasionally make an exception at Hutchins.  They have the best smoked chicken I have ever had.  I don't know what they do with their yard birds, but they do it very well. 
My wife's smoked chicken and sides
Unlike most barbecue joins, they also have a good kids menu.  My daughter got the kid's chicken nugget basket and consumed it all, with the exception of a few fries that I stole from her.  If you aren't interested in your typical barbecue joint sides, they have some killer fries and okra.

There is one more thing that I really like about Hutchins; their free dessert bar.  Patrons who dine-in get access to free ice cream, peach cobbler, and banana pudding.  My daughter absolutely loves the ice cream with sprinkles, but my wife and I are very partial to the banana pudding. 
Free Banana Pudding
Hutchins has great quality barbecue for a decent price.  The staff is always friendly and anxious to please.  If you haven't been to Hutchins yet, I highly recommend it.  Although I have tried, I have not found better barbecue in Collin County and their are only a couple of places in the entire Metroplex that I like better than Hutchins. 

Hutchins BBQ
http://www.hutchinsbbq.net/
Livin the Good Life Rating = 4
Hutchins BBQ and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment