Monday, July 18, 2016

Chaophraya

There are no shortages of restaurants in Edinburgh, but there is a big variation in quality.  My wife and I both love Thai food and Chaophraya came highly recommended by food bloggers, travel sites, and a couple of locals we met.  This restaurant is located on the fourth floor of a building located on Castle Street and offers an amazing view of Edinburgh Castle if you are lucky enough to secure a table with a view.  We waited too long to secure a reservation with a view, but we were still able to get into the restaurant with only one day's notice.
Asian Platter Appetizer
Following the recommendation of our waitress, we ordered  the Asian Platter as an appetizer.  This large appetizer included chicken satay, prawn tempura, chicken spring rolls, marinated pork with honey and Thai herbs, and a crispy duck salad.  Each one of these items was delicious, but my favorites were the prawn tempura (6-8 inches long and fried to perfections) and the marinated pork with honey (think sweet bacon).  My wife was partial to the spring rolls, which were also quite delightful.
Chicken Pad Thai
Spicy Fried Rice with Beef and Basil 
Coconut Rice
For entrees, we share an order of Chicken Pad Thai and Spicy Fried Rice with Beef and Basil.  The Pad Thai was amongst the best I have ever had and the other entree, which was the chef's signature dish, was delicious, but not overly spicy.  My wife and I also ordered a side of the coconut rice, which was sticky and went well with the two dishes.  I really couldn't pick which entree I liked best, because both were amazing.
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
For dessert, we shared an order of Thai Mango Sticky Rice.  It was not overly sweet, but was a tasty and light, which we needed after eating way too much prior to dessert.  Chaophraya  was arguably the best meal we had in Edinburgh and perhaps the best Thai food I have ever had.  In addition to the wonderful food, the service was spectacular.  The restaurant has beautiful decor and the views are hard to beat.  If we ever return to visit Edinburgh, this restaurant would be #1 on my list to revisit!
My date for the evening 
Chaophraya
http://chaophraya.co.uk
Livin the Good Life Rating=5
Chaophraya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment