Sunday, April 14, 2013

Nick and Sam's Grill


Recently my wife’s entire family met on a Saturday morning for a group session with a photographer.  The photographer was evidently an artist inspired by rust and decay, because she had us meet her in a very sketchy area of South Dallas.  It turned out that my fear of this photo session was legitimate, but misplaced.  My fears were realized when I heard my wife utter the phrase "time for an outfit change."  We all survived the session with four young children who don’t follow directions very well and canines on chains that were serenading us. 
Bar area with daily specials written on chalk board
Large mural next to entrance
Following this photo session, we decided to do brunch with the entire family.  After discussing a few places, my in-laws chose Nick and Sam’s Grill in Uptown.  I was relieved that we were going to get to leave the hood and go to the land of yuppies.  We arrived at the restaurant right when the opened and they quickly sat our party of eleven.
Both my daughter and her cousin could not be bothered to get off their devices.
I have been to Nick and Sam’s steakhouse, but this was my first time to dine at Nick and Sam’s Grill.  I started off ordering coffee, while other members of the party ordered anything from chocolate milk to mimosas.  We also got a couple of orders of the Guacamole Blocks, served with tortilla chips.  The wait staff also brought out complimentary blueberry bread.  I was very impressed with the chips and guacamole.  The blueberry bread was also very good and had a hint of cinnamon to it.
Guacamole block and chips
For my brunch entrée, I ordered the biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon.  My wife ordered the Breakfast BELT (Bacon, Egg, Lettuce, & Tomato), which was served with guacamole on an English muffin.  Several other members of the party ordered BELTs, while other ordered pancakes or short ribs served on a bed of eggs and potatoes.
Blueberry Bread
My biscuits and gravy were fantastic.  The biscuits on this day were made with Gruyere cheese and smothered with sausage gravy.  I honestly cannot remember when I have had better biscuits and gravy.  The scrambled eggs and potatoes weren’t bad either.  Although I know I didn’t need the extra calories, I am glad I ordered the side of bacon.  It was very flavorful and had distinct maple taste to it. 
Jalapeno cheddar biscuits and gravy, scramble eggs, bacon, and potatoes
BELT and fries
The majority of our party seemed very pleased with our brunch.  There was even some discussion of meeting back at Nick and Sam’s Grill after church the following day.  Even though it is about a thirty-minute drive from my home, I would definitely go back here for brunch if I were in the area.  This was a great place for brunch and I give it an 3 on my 5-point scale.  We apparently were very lucky that we arrived as early as we did, because every table was full and there was a crowd of about thirty people waiting outside when we left about 11:30.

Nick and Sam’s Grill
2816 Fairmount St.,
Dallas, TX 75201
Livin The Good Life Rating=8
Patrons waiting outside as we were leaving
Nick and Sam's Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment