Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Smoke-Plano

The Plano location of Smoke is finally open.  The original location has been highly acclaimed by critics and made the D Magazine list of the 100 Best Restaurants in Dallas.   The location in Dallas has been on my short list of restaurants to visit, but I decided to forgo the trip to Dallas and just wait for the much closer location to open in Plano.  Although it opened a few months later than expected, I was excited to give the restaurant a try.

The new restaurant took over the building that formerly housed a Snuffer's.  The layout, furniture, and decor has changed dramatically from the style of the former occupant (which is a good thing).  Smoke is laid out beautifully and has an open and warm feel to the restaurant.  
Smoked Sausage (pork, beef, lamb, and rabbit)
For an appetizer, my wife and I ordered the house-made smoked sausage.  Their sausage included four different varieties made from beef, pork, sausage, and rabbit.  When they arrived, I asked our waiter which sausages were made from which meats and he admitted that he did not know.  I could positively identify the pork andouille and the beef paprika from the taste, but I admit that I could not tell the difference between the lamb and the rabbit.  Of the four sausages, the beef was really good and one of the two sausages that I was unable to identify was also good.  The other two sausages didn't exactly appeal to my tastebuds.
The Big Rib
For my entree, I ordered the Big Rib.  The large beef rib, which was the size of my forearm, was perfectly smoked and had a delicious bark on it.  The fresh herb chimichurri was flavorful, but not necessary when a piece of meat is smoked to perfection (and this rib was perfect).  The hominy casserole was flavorful and made for a nice pairing with the beef rib.
Coffee Cured Brisket
My wife had the Coffee Cured Brisket and it was simply outstanding.  It had a nice smoke ring, a flavorful bark, and practically melted in your much.  This was one of the better pieces of brisket I have tried in the DFW area and I had to beg my wife for another piece.  As good as my rib was, this brisket gave me some serious entree envy.  Potato salad came with the brisket and while it had a decent flavor, I definitely preferred the hominy casserole that came with my entree.

We couldn't leave without trying at least one dessert.  My wife and I debated ordering the dark chocolate ice cream, but we finally decided on the Hummingbird Cake.  Although it had good flavor, it was a little dry and did not have icing like the Hummingbird Cake that my grandmother used to make.
Hummingbird Cake
Overall, Smoke gets a thumbs up from me.  For the most part, the food was really good.  The service was lacking at times and the waitstaff needs to better familiarize themselves with the menu, but the servers were friendly and seemed eager to please.  When we dined at Smoke, they were just doing a "soft" opening and were still trying to work some kinks out, so I can forgive the service on this visit.  Given time, I have not doubt that owner/executive chef Time Byres will have this place running smoothly.  Smoke combines barbecue and fine dining, which sets this eclectic restaurant apart from any other restaurant in the area.  I loved the uniqueness of the restaurant and I think this place will be a welcome addition to Collin County.

Smoke
http://smokerestaurant.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=4
Smoke on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment