Monday, June 1, 2015

VooDoo BBQ & Grill

VooDoo BBQ & Grill recently opened it's first Texas location in Frisco.  This popular chain originated in New Orleans and claims to combine barbecue with Cajun, Creole, and Caribbean-style dishes.  Being a fan of both barbecue and Cajun food, I was eagerly anticipating this opening.

I have dined at VooDoo BBQ & Grill twice since this restaurant opened in early May and I have sampled a variety of items.  One of the first items I tried was a bowl of Red Beans and Rice.  The bowl was quite large and the dish was topped with sliced spicy Cajun sausage.  I liked the taste and the fact that it had plenty of sausage, but it tasted even better when I added a little dash of hot sauce.  The portion was actually large enough for a meal, but I had it for appetizer.  
Red Beans and Rice
They have several different barbecue platters with meats that you could find at any barbecue joint, but the restaurant also serves Jerk chicken, Cajun slow cooked chicken, and The Carnival, which includes brisket, chicken, pulled pork, and sausage that is chopped and mixed with sauce.  I had the two meat platter, aka The Graveyard Platter, with brisket and pulled pork.  This item comes with two sides and I ended up adding a third.  
Clockwise From Top Left-Cornbread Pudding, Jambalaya, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Cornbread, and Cajun Fries.
The brisket I had was absolutely abysmal, even by chain standards.  The lean slices I received lacked a smoky flavor, were cut too thin, and were extremely tough.  As bad as the brisket was, I absolutely loved the pulled pork.  It had an excellent bark and had the smoky taste that was lacking in the brisket.  The restaurant offers three types of barbecue sauce that included Mojo sauce (traditional sauce), Cane Vinegar sauce, and spicy sauce made with Crystal hot sauce.  Of the three, I preferred the Mojo sauce.  For sides, I had the fries, jambalaya, and cornbread pudding.  The cornbread pudding was out-of-this-world delicious and the the jambalaya was top notch as well.  The fries were sprinkled with Cajun spices, but were note even close to being as good as the other two sides.
Three Types of Sauce
On my next visit, I decided to try the Jerk Chicken Po' Boy with a side of Gumbo.  The Jerk Chicken itself was a thick sliced chicken breast and it had great flavor that one expects from Jerk spice.  The portion was quite large and filled up the entire six inches of the French bread.  The gumbo I received didn't have much chicken in it and was lacking in flavor until I added a little of the Crystal hot sauce to it.
Jerk Chicken Po'Boy and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
I was also able to sample the Beignets.  Ir took about ten minutes for them to cook, but the arrived piping hot with plenty of powdered sugar.  The beignets were some of the best I have had in recent memory and I quickly inhaled all three of them in the order.
Beignets
VooDoo BBQ & Grill had some very good items and some I will take a pass on when I visit in the future.  The brisket, gumbo, and fries will not make my list of favorites, but I really liked the pulled pork, the cornbread pudding, the jambalaya, and the beignets.  There are better barbecue choices in Collin County, but I really thought this place was better than average and found the Cajun twist a pleasant experience.

VooDoo BBQ & Grill
http://www.voodoobbqandgrill.com/home
Livin the Good Life Rating=3
Click to add a blog post for VooDoo BBQ & Grill on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment