Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mesa's Mexican Grill

Mexican food option are very slim on the West side of McKinney, Texas.  A popular Mexican restaurant in Prosper, Mesa's Mexican Grill, recently opened up another location in McKinney.  Since the day it opened, it has been busy each time that I drove by the restaurant.  My family and I finally decided to brave the crowds to try this restaurant.  

When our waiter brought out the chips, salsa, and black bean dip, we decided to also order a side of queso.  The queso was very basic and tasted just like the cheese that would top nachos at a middle school basketball concession stand.  I wished I would have went with the queso blanca instead of the traditional queso.  Although the salsa was decent, I actually preferred the black bean dip to the queso and salsa.
Chips, Salsa, and Black Bean Dip
For my entree, I ordered the Platillo Cortez, which came with a chicken enchilada, a brisket taco, guacamole, rice, and beans.  Of the items on the plate, I liked the chicken enchilada the best.  It was packed with finally shredded chicken and topped with a sour cream sauce  The brisket taco had onions and green peppers, but the brisket was very tough and chew.  The guacamole, rice, and beans were pretty basic and not noteworthy at all.
Platillo Cortez
My wife ordered the El Rey, which came with a cheese enchilada, a beef taco, and a pork tamale.  I sampled a bite or two of each of these items as well and was equally unimpressed.  The food wasn't bad, but it was nothing that you wouldn't get at any other run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant.
El Rey
I didn't necessarily hate the food here, but it certainly failed to impress.  The service was much better than the food, even though the restaurant was busy while we were there.  They also have a kids menu and my kids enjoyed the kids nachos and the kids chicken strips and fries.  If I am in the mood for Mexican food close to my house, I will gladly pass by this place and dine at the Rosa's Cafe that is just a mile down the road.

Mesa's Mexican Grill
http://www.mesasmexgrill.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=2
Mesa's Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment