Saturday, May 23, 2015

S. & D. Oyster Company

Oysters on the Half-Shell
My wife absolutely loves oysters on the half-shell and S. & D. Oyster Company is her favorite place to eat them in Dallas.  I actually prefer oysters fried or chargrilled, but my wife prefers hers raw and she assures me that few are better than those served at S. & D. Oyster Company.  She has been dining there with her family for over three decades and we recently celebrated her birthday at S. &. D.
Hush Puppies and a French Loaf
While my wife ordered a half dozen oysters, the rest of us had seafood gumbo, hush puppies, and a couple of french loafs.  The gumbo was very thick and was just spicy enough for me.  As for the other items, the french loafs were slightly better than the hush puppies.
Cup of Seafood Gumbo
I ordered the Grouper Fish Loaf and fries for my meal.  Grouper is one of my favorite types of fish to eat and the Po'-Boy-like fish loaf was good, but it only came with tartar sauce and ketchup.  I would have preferred that the sandwich be topped with lettuce and tomato or cole slaw.  The fries were average at best and very bland.  Others in our party ordered the fried shrimp and the fried snapper, both of which got a thumbs up from the family members who ordered them.
Grouper Fish Loaf
My wife couldn't leave without getting the Bread Pudding, which she claims is her favorite bread pudding in Dallas.  I tried some and agreed that it was good, but I wouldn't consider it to be the best in Dallas.  I had the Lemon Pie and actually preferred it to the Bread Pudding.
Bread Pudding
The service was outstanding as usual and even the kids enjoyed their meals.  An expansion is occurring right now and it should greatly increase the amount of people that can dine at the restaurant, which is a good thing because it usually gets packed after 6 p.m.  While I don't hold the restaurant in the same regard as my wife does, it is still a solid seafood restaurant and judging by her smile it seemed that my wife thoroughly enjoyed her birthday dinner.

S. & D. Oyster Company
http://sdoyster.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=3
S & D Oyster Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment