Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cane Rosso


Cane Rosso has been on my "wish list" of restaurants to try for quite some time.  Unfortunately, I have not been able dine in Dallas recently; primarily due to a busy work schedule.  I also realize that only fat kids like myself have restaurant "wish lists."  The Dallas Observer included Cane Rosso on it's list of the Eight Best Pizza Places in Dallas.  D Magazine rated the restaurant as best pizza place in Dallas and included it in it's 2013 edition of the 100 Best Restaurants in Dallas.  
The Cane Rosso Pizza Oven
Cane Rosso has two locations in Dallas.  The original is in Deep Ellum, but we were closer to the one that recently opened in White Rock.  We arrived for an early dinner and beat the usual Saturday night crowds that plague most of the restaurants in Dallas.  They had a patio area that looked like fun, but we elected to eat inside because it was a little chilly when we arrived.  We were warmly greeted by the wait staff upon entering the restaurant.  Since it was our first visit, they explained the basics of Neapolitan style pizza and how it differed from New York style pizza.  Having had Neapolitan pizza before, I knew that they center was usually very doughy.  What I didn't know, is that their pizzas are only fired in the oven for 70 seconds.

We ordered our drinks and decided to start with an order of Angioletta.  This appetizer is fried pizza dough that is coated with grated Parmesan cheese and served with marinara.  This dish was very simple, but very good.  It was such a large portion that I feared I had not saved enough room for pizza.
Angioletta
The Livin The Good Life wife and I debated which pizza we wanted, but finally agreed on ordering the Prosciutto e Rucola.  This pizzas ingredients included prosciutto crudo (thinly sliced dry-cured ham), arugula, house-made mozzarella, shaved Parmigiano, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil.  The pizza arrived and it was larger than I had anticipated (approximately 14-15 inches).  The wife and I both enjoyed this pizza.  The prosciutto was great and all the ingredients blended together perfectly.  If I had to choose one negative thing about his pizza, it would be the garlic.  I would have preferred smaller garlic pieces instead of sliced cloves that were overpowering at times. 
Prosciutto e Rucola
I left Cane Rosso feeling fat and happy.  The wait staff was great and we did not have to wait very long for our appetizer or our pizza.  Cane Rosso definitely lived up to the hype, because we had a great experience.  The menu has several pizzas that I want to try, so we will be making a return trip to Cane Rosso.

Cane Rosso
http://ilcanerosso.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating = 5

Cane Rosso on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment