Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Terry Black's Barbecue

Quality barbecue is getting much easier to find in Austin, TX.  The barbecue revolution there is really amazing when you think back to a decade ago and there not being any truly great barbecue joints in the city limits.  On my most recent visit to Austin, I visited Terry Black's Barbecue.  Terry is a relative of the family that operates the famous Black's Barbecue in Lockhart, TX.

I ate there on a recent Saturday and sampled several items while eating with my wife and some friends from Houston.  Below is my thoughts on what I tried:

Brisket- This brisket was very tender, moist, had well rendered fat, and was perfectly smoked.  It was heavy on the pepper and the bark tasted very similar to what you would find at Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor, TX.  
Brisket, pork ribs, cream corn, and mac n' cheese
Pork Ribs- These were tender, had a nice glaze, and easily pulled off the bone.  They had a slight peppery taste, but not near as much as the brisket bark.

Turkey- I had this in a sandwich, but ate several slices on their own.  Great smokey flavor, moist, and lightly peppered to perfection.  
Turkey Sandwich
Beef Rib- This was one of the top 3 beef ribs I have ever had.  It had a similar flavor to the brisket, but was extremely tender.  A lot of beef ribs are chewy, but this one was not like that at all.  It was so tender that you could literally pull it off the bone with a fork.  This meat was the highlight of my visit to this barbecue joint.
Beef Rib
Sides-I tried the cream corn, mac n' cheese, cole slaw, and potato salad.  The cream corn was my favorite item, but the mac n' cheese was good as well.
Banana Pudding
Desserts- I tried the banana pudding and the peach cobbler.  The pudding was rather bland, but the cobbler was really good.  I would definitely order the cobbler again!
Peach Cobbler
The meats were great and the sides were decent enough as well.  While there may be a few people in line, the line moves really fast because Terry Black's has multiple cutting blocks and registers to get your food, rather than everyone waiting on one cutting block and register.  The ten minute wait for quality barbecue is an excellent alternative to waiting hours at some other joints in town.  Terry Black's will now be on my rotation of restaurants to visit when I am in Austin!

Terry Black's Barbecue
http://terryblacksbbq.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=4
Terry Black's Barbecue Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment