Thursday, June 19, 2014

Barnlight Eatery

Barnlight Eatery recently opened in East Frisco.  I was pleased to see that the East Frisco/West McKinney area was getting a new restaurant, because the majority of the restaurants in this area are either fast food joints or chains.  At the moment there are only a handful of quality restaurants in this area, so I was anxious to sample the goods at Barnlight Eatery.
Dining area and bar
Since the restaurant opened in May, I have actually eaten there twice and I have been able to sample several items. Some items were very good and more impressive than others.  On one of our visits to Barlight Eatery, we ordreded the chips and queso.  The dish is also served with a very good roasted salsa, which I actually preferred over the queso.  The queso itself is pretty basic, but the mild salsa is very flavorful.  My wife liked the queso, but I prefer either pico de gallo, chopped peppers peppers, or some type of meat to be included in my queso to give it a little substance.
Chips, Queso, and Roasted Salsa
The chicken fried chicken sandwich is probably my favorite thing that I have tried off the menu.  A perfectly seasoned and fried chicken breast is served on a toasted artisan bun with chipotle cream, lettuce, onions, and lime vinaigrette.  The sandwich is one of the best sandwiches I have had in recent months.  I really was surprised that you could actually taste a hint of lime with each bite, but it didn't overpower the outstanding flavor of the chicken, the batter, or the chipotle cream.  When I had this sandwich, I substituted the chips for herb fries.  I am not a big fan of potato chips and felt that the very flavorful fries were a nice addition to the sandwich.
Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich with Herb Fries
On one visit, my wife ordered the artisan grilled cheese and tomato soup.  The sandwich has Swiss, Boursin, and Monterrey Jack cheese served together with bacon, seared green tomatoes, and frisee.  I didn't have any of the soup, but I did eat half her sandwich and was impressed with the overall flavor of all the ingredients.
Artisan Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
The other entree that I have ordered is the chorizo meat loaf.  The meatloaf itself had a good flavor, but it was a little dry in my opinion and didn't taste much like chorizo. With the brown gravy topping it, the dish actually reminded me more of Salisbury steak than meatloaf.  It was served with buttermilk mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn relish.  Of the three sides, I liked the potatoes the best.
Chorizo Meat Loaf
I have also sampled several of the desserts at Barnlight Eatery and I highly recommend the Key lime pie.  The pie is silky smooth with an outstanding crust and just the right amount of tartness.  We have also tried some cookies and cupcakes from their bakery area.  The chocolate chip cookies are large and I recommend you get them with a glass of milk.
Key Lime Pie
Barnlight Eatery is a much needed restaurant in this area.  The restaurant serves quality food, the staff is attentive, and the kitchen prepares meals quickly.  I really hope the restaurant builds enough of a customer base to stay in business, because there is not another restaurant like it in the immediate area.  Like any restaurant, some items are better than others and I highly recommend the fried chicken sandwich.  Barnlight Eatery has recently started serving lunch, so I will be going back soon to try their lunch menu.
Chocolate Cupcake (to go)
Barnlight Eatery
http://barnlighteatery.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=3

Barnlight Eatery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment