Sunday, June 29, 2014

Poor Richard's Cafe

My father-in-law recently had a birthday and my wife wanted to meet him for breakfast to celebrate.  We wanted to meet somewhere in Plano because it was halfway between our home in McKinney and their home in Garland.  After much discussion, my father-in-law chose Poor Richard's Cafe and we loaded up the family to meet him and my mother-in-law for a birthday breakfast.

When we arrived, my in-laws had already secured us a table.  Poor Richards was packed on this Saturday and had a short line waiting to be seated, but the restaurant is very large and I don't believe anyone had to wait longer than ten minutes to be seated.  I started with coffee while we visited the family.
The Big Tex Breakfast
The menu is quite extensive, but I finally decided on the Big Tex Breakfast.  The Big Tex is a chicken fried steak served with your choice of eggs, potatoes, and bread.  I got scrambled eggs and toast with my order.  When the chicken fried steak arrived, I was very impressed with the size.  I would estimate the size of the chicken fried steak to be twelve long and it literally took up the entire platter.  My scrambled eggs and potatoes had to be served on another platter.  The batter on the chicken fried steak was great, the gravy was creamy, and it was tender enough to cut with fork.  The potatoes were fantastic and reminded me of the ones my grandmas used to make.  The toast was buttery perfection as well.
Bacon, Eggs, Grits, and Gingerbread Pancakes
My wife ordered a breakfast platter than consisted of bacon, fried eggs, grits, and gingerbread pancakes.  She gave her meal the stamp of approval and refused to even share a bite of pancakes with me.  My oldest daughter enjoyed her gingerbread pancakes and my toddler ate all of her eggs and some of mine.

Poor Richard's is a really good family friendly restaurant that serves a quality breakfast at a reasonable price.  The service was spectacular on our visit and we never had to ask to have any coffee refilled.  The kitchen is fast too and we had our food within ten minutes of ordering.  My first visit to this restaurant was much better than I had anticipated and I really want to try out their lunch menu as well.

Poor Richard's Cafe
http://www.poorrichardscafe.com
Livin the Good Life Rating=3
Poor Richard's Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment