Monday, December 16, 2013

Spoons Cafe

Icepocalypse 2013 hit McKinney Texas and covered our neighborhood in three inches of thick ice.  Due to the ice and the fact the temperature had not rose above freezing, I had not been able to leave the house in three days.  I had a severe case of cabin fever and could not take another hour being trapped in the house with my wife and two daughters.  If I had heard another verse of The Sound of Music, I might have gone crazy.  I decided I was escaping the house and spent two hours scraping my drive way and de-icing my truck.  I loaded the fam in my truck and we headed to downtown McKinney for lunch.
A few determined souls braved the icy roads.
We did not have a specific destination in mind, so we decided we would eat at the first place that struck our fancy and was actually open.  Spoons Cafe, located on the McKinney Square, was open and it sounded good to all in the car.  It happens to be a restaurant that my family enjoys, but we don't eat there often due to the fact that there is usually a long wait.  I know it might be hard to believe, but long waits with a five year old and a one year old are not that enjoyable.  Lucky for us, only seven to eight other groups had braved the icepocalypse and decided to dine at Spoons Cafe.  This restaurant is primarily known for their breakfast, but they serve up some pretty decent soups, sandwiches, and burgers.
My oldest warming up with some hot chocolate
We were seated quickly and decided we would start with an appetizer of cheese fries with bacon.  The peppered fries arrived covered in cheese and bacon.  I was very please that they had not skimped on the bacon, because it was delicious.  Without question, these were some the best cheese fries I have had in some time.
Some top notch Cheese Fries
For my main meal, I ordered the club sandwich with fried okra.  I usually don't eat sandwiches with okra, but I didn't want fries since I had just had a huge order of cheese fries.  The club was very good and included more of the fantastic tasting bacon.  The sourdough bread was fantastic as well, but I was a little disappointed that the sandwich did not have more turkey and ham on it.  The okra had a light batter that was really crispy and had great flavor.
Club Sandwich with Fried Okra
My wife got the half sandwich and soup combo; getting the BLTA (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Avocado) and the tomato basil soup.  She said that both were good, but she particularly liked the soup.  One of my daughters had the kids chicken strips and another got the grilled cheese.  Both cleaned their plates and I didn't hear any complaints from them.
BLTA and Tomato Basil Soup
This visit and every other visit to Spoons Cafe has been a pleasant one.  We were starving when we arrived and the food really hit the spot.  Although I would have preferred more deli meat on my club, I though the food was good overall.  The service was commendable and our waitress was very friendly.  Spoons Cafe is always a reliable breakfast and lunch destination for me and my family.

Spoons Cafe
http://www.spoonscafe.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating=3

Spoons Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment