Sunday, February 9, 2014

Mash'd

I rarely have a Friday night where I am not working, so it was a special treat that I was actually off on a Friday.  This particular Friday also happened to be my birthday.  Not wanting to let a rare opportunity like this slip by, my wife wanted her and the girls to take me out to a birthday dinner somewhere close to work.  After vetoing several restaurants that my wife mentioned, we finally decided to try Mash'd.  Based on some good reviews from friends, I had been chomping at the bit to try this new restaurant and moonshine bar that had recently opened in Frisco.  When we first entered the restaurant, it had a very energetic vibe to it but I could still hold a conversation with my family. 
TVs aplenty at Mash'd
I was somewhat worried that this place might not be family friendly, but it turns out I had no reason to worry because we were quickly seated and asked if we wanted to go ahead and order for kid's dinners.   The entire night, our waitress seemed to know what we needed before we asked for it and she quickly took the kid's order and brought out our drinks.  While looking at the entrees, I decided to go ahead and start with bowl of gumbo. The gumbo arrived two minutes later and was excellent.  It was made with andouille sausage and chicken, but I was surprised to see that it had corn in it.  I have never had gumbo with corn in it, but it blended in well with the other ingredients and was certainly above-average in the gumbo department.
Andouille Sausage and Chicken Gumbo
For my entree, I decided to get the fried chicken.  The dish came with a boneless breast, boneless thigh, and mashed potatoes.  It also came with a half of lemon and jalapeño marmalade.  My waitress recommended squeezing the lemon on the chicken prior to dipping it in the marmalade.  It sounded like a weird combination of  flavors, but it was absolutely fantastic.  The boneless fried chicken was great by itself, but I particularly liked the jalapeño marmalade.  The mashed potatoes were not bad, but the certainly played second fiddle to the fried chicken.  
Fried Chicken with Jalapeño Marmalade
My wife ordered the BELT (Bacon, Egg, Lettuce, and Avocado) sandwich with fries.  She said it was really good, but would have preferred the cherry tomatoes to be cut into smaller pieces.  She shared her fries with me and I thought they were very tasty.  Both kids enjoyed their meals of grilled cheese on a pretzel bun and chicken strips.
BELT and Fries
The best part about this entire meal was the fact that we were in and out of the restaurant in forty minutes.  We certainly enjoyed our first trip to Mash'd because the food was terrific and the service was even better.  The restaurant is in a great location (off Preston and close to Stonebriar Mall), so I expect that it will do well.  Good food and a good location usually translate into restaurant success.  If our next visit to Mash'd is this good, we will certainly put it in our regular restaurant rotation. 

Mash'd
Livin the Good Life Rating = 3

Mash'd on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment