Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sam's Restaurant

A hunting trip with my brother in early January, found me in Fairfield, Texas.  My brother and I had been drawn for a public hunt at Fairfield Lake State Park.  Although we didn't have any luck getting a deer, we did enjoy our visit to the town and found some good food.  One of the places we tried, Sam's Restaurant, was very impressive.
Great Loaf of Bread
Sam's has a regular menu, but they are best known for their buffet.  The restaurant sits right off I-45 and sees many a hungry traveler in addition to the locals that frequent the restaurant.  We arrived right at 11:00 a.m. and the restaurant was already getting full.  Since we had skipped breakfast, we were starving and elected to get the buffet.
Trip #1
The buffet had a fairly extensive salad bar, but I only had a little salad as I wanted to save room for all the meats and sides.  The thing I remember the most about the salad bar was the fact it had delicious croutons.  I am not sure if they were homemade or not, but they were great.  While we were making our way back from our first trip to the buffet, the waitress delivered a very good loaf of bread to our table.  We ended up making several trips each to the buffet and tried a little bit of everything.
Trip #2
Trip #3
The buffet had fried chicken, chicken-fried steak, meatloaf, brisket, sausage, etc.  They also had an extensive selection of sides.  I usually don't have high expectations for the quality of food at buffets, but Sam's is not your typical buffet.  Most of the food here was actually really good and I particularly liked the fried chicken and chicken-fried steak.  With the exception of the brisket, I was impressed with everything I tried.  Sam's also had an extensive selection of desserts as well.  Even though I was incredibly full, I was able to sample a piece of chocolate sheet cake to top off my meal.  The chocolate icing was really rich and it was liberally topped with chopped pecans.
Trip #4-Chocolate Cake
My first visit to this feed trough was a memorable one and I certainly didn't leave hungry.  The food is excellent and the staff is great.  Next time I am traveling down I-45, I will certainly plan a stop at Sam's.  If you are ever in the Fairfield area, I recommend that you stop by and give Sam's a try.

Sam's Restaurant
http://www.samsoriginal.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating = 3

Sam's Restaurant on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment