Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mexican Sugar

Prior to having children, The Shops at Legacy used to be one of the go-to dining destinations for my wife and I.  Since having children we don't go nearly as often, but still like to dine in that area when we have the opportunity to get a babysitter or a grandma that wants to keep the kids.  In November, a new restaurant called Mexican Sugar opened it's doors at The Shops at Legacy.  As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to try it because it was opened up by the folks at Whiskey Cake (which happens to be one of my favorite restaurants in Collin County).

On a recent Saturday, my wife and I visited Mexican Sugar shortly after 5:00 p.m.  Despite the fact that this time of day is usually designated for dining with the blue hairs, my wife and I like going to eat early because we usually beat crowds.  It worked out great on this visit, because we were seated immediately in one of the last remaining booths.  If we had arrived fifteen minutes later, we would have had a serious wait on our hands. 
The crowds arrived early on the evening we visited Mexican Sugar.
Our server recommended that we start out with the queso blanca and roasted salsa.  Since the wife and I consider ourselves to be connoisseurs of queso, we took her up on her recommendation with anxious anticipation.  We dug in as soon as the queso arrived and it was certainly top shelf with plenty of cilantro and chili powder on top.  Perhaps even better than the queso, was the roasted salsa which was served warm.  The warm salsa was not very spicy, but it was extremely flavorful.  It took us two and half baskets of their very good tortilla chips to finish off the queso and salsa.  
Queso Blanca and Roasted Salsa
I would have been perfectly content just having the chips, queso, and roasted salsa as a meal, but we went ahead and ordered entrees anyway.  I ordered the Lomo Tacos, which had ancho roasted beef tenderloin, pickled radish, chimmichurri, epazote, manchego cheese, cilantro, and tomato-mango chutney (which I requested on the side because I was unsure of how that flavor would taste on my tacos).  The first bite of the taco was an explosion of flavor and it turns out the tomato-mango chutney was a perfect flavor to add to the beef tenderloin.  The pickled radish was the only ingredient I could have done without.  I can honestly say that this was one of the top three tacos I have ever had.  I quickly devoured all three that were in my order.  For my side, I substituted the Brussels sprout shred for the poblano rice.  The rice was not your typical rice served at Mexican food restaurants, but it was absolutely perfect.
Lomo Tacos and Poblano Rice
My wife ordered the Brasas Tacos, which had roasted chicken, salsa, roasted corn pico, queso fresco, cilantro, and a chipotle cream sauce.   She was kind enough to give me one of her tacos and I was happy she did.  It was not as good as the Lomo Tacos, but it was also terrific and had a very different taste than my tacos.  The chipotle cream sauce really rounded out the flavors well.  She had the Brussels sprout shred with hers and it tasted very much like Cole slaw.
Brasas Tacos and Brussels Sprout Shred
Even though we were both extremely full, we decided to have dessert.  We were torn between the Cinco Leches cake and the Chocolate Avocado cake, but chose the Cinco Leches.  I am a huge fan of Tres Leches cake, but why have Tres Leches when you can have Cinco Leches.  Dos Mas Leches has to make it even better, right?  The Cinco Leches had almond milk, rice milk, heavy cream, goats milk, and was topped with their version of a Mexican cream whip.  It was so good, that my wife and I finished it in less than one minute.  It was the perfect ending to our meal.
Cinco Leches Cake
After dining at Mexican Sugar, I now have a new favorite Mexican food restaurant in Collin County.  The appetizer, meal, and dessert were all excellent.  The waitstaff was amazing and fawned over us all night long.  The ambiance at Mexican Sugar is very high energy and this would be a great place to dine with friends.  We can't wait for our next trip to Mexican Sugar so we can try some of the other menu items.
Mexican Sugar has some excellent food…No bull!
Mexican Sugar
http://www.mexicansugarcocina.com/
Livin the Good Life Rating = 5

Mexican Sugar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment