Sunday, May 26, 2013

Haystack Burgers and Barley


Haystack Burgers & Barley opened up in Richardson a couple of weeks ago.  When I first read an article about this burger joint, I  was intrigued by this restaurant and one particular item on the menu.  I also thought, “Does DFW really need another burger joint?”  I was in the area one day following a trip to Dallas, so I stopped in and grabbed a bite to eat.
The menu item that intrigued me so much was the Chicken Fried Burger with jalapeno-bacon gravy.  For those that regularly follow my blog, you know the fastest way to my heart is to deep-fry something.   The idea of a fried hamburger is enough to send my heart into palpitations, but then this place wants to go over the top and add jalapeno-bacon gravy?  As I waited in line to order the burger, I felt like a young man about to go on his first date.  I nervously ordered the burger along with an order of the fresh cut fries and the haystack onions.
Chicken Fried Burger with jalapeno-bacon gravy
Inside the chicken fried burger
After a short wait, my burger and sides arrived.  The chicken fried burger was very good, but it was a little messy and I had to eat it with a fork.  The bun had a sweet flavor to it that was a nice pairing with the gravy.  The fries were better than average and I was particularly fond of the house-made chipotle ketchup.  As good as the burger was, the real winner here was the side of haystack onions.  They were perfectly seasoned and had a delicious crispy batter.  I am not sure what ingredients were in the dipping sauce the onions were served with, but it was tasty and had a nice kick to it.  All this delicious grub was washed down with pineapple-lemon-orange iced tea.  Although somewhat unusual tasting, it was very refreshing.
The fresh cut fries were terrific
I was a big fan of the haystack onions!
I really liked Haystack Burgers and Barley and I would come back here for the haystack onions alone.  The burger I had was great, but I am curious as to how the other burgers taste.  I don’t know if I would rate this burger in my top burger joints in Dallas, but it is very close to breaking the top five.  Off-Site KitchenMaple and Motor, and Liberty Burger are still my top tier burger joints, but this place is right behind them.  I would rate Haystack Burgers a 7 on my 10-point scale.  If the idea of a fried burger does not appeal to you, they have several other menu options available that looked great as well.

Haystack Burgers and Barley
100 South Central Expwy. Ste. 17
Richardson, TX
Livin the Good Life Rating=7

Haystack Burgers & Barlay on Urbanspoon