Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hopdoddy Burger Bar

At some point during my trip to Austin, I had to take a break from barbecue.  As much as I love barbecue, there are times I crave carbs.  On my last night in Austin, I decided a burger and fries were in order, so I started Googling to see if I could find the top rated burger joint in Austin.  Several publications listed Hopdoddy Burger Bar as the best in Austin, so I took the short mile and a half walk to Hopdoddy from my hotel.  I also knew that they had recently opened a location in Dallas.   Although several friends and acquaintances had recommended this place, but I had not been able to try it yet.
Apparently I was destined for lines in Austin
After the short walk, I arrived at Hopdoddy and saw that there was a line out the door.  I figured this had to be a good sign that this might be an awesome hamburger spot.  There were about forty people in front of me in line, but I finally made it the register and ordered after about a twenty minute wait.  I ordered the classic burger and the truffle fries.
And the line continued inside for another 20 yards
After finding my table assigned to me, the waitress brought my order out very quickly.  The first thing I noticed was that the burger was very small.  I could have easily consumed the entire thing in less than six bites.  The burger itself was pretty good, but not "out of this world" great.  The only remarkable thing about the burger was the "sassy" sauce, which had a nice flavor to it.  The truffle fries were very good, but the serving size was also small.
Classic Burger 
Truffle Fries
Overall, I was not impressed with Hopdoddy Burger Bar.  It was a decent burger, but I can easily think of seven DFW burger places I would prefer over this place.  It was a good hamburger, but far from great.  Since there seems to still be a lot of hype about this place in both Dallas and Austin, perhaps they should just change the name to "Hypedoddy" instead.

Hopdoddy Burger Bar
1400 S. Congress Ave.
Austin, TX
Livin the Good Life Rating= 2


No comments:

Post a Comment