Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sissy's Southern Kitchen and Bar

Front Entrance
Sissy's Southern Kitchen and Bar came highly recommended by my in-laws.  It is one of their favorite restaurants in the DFW area.  It is located right off US 75 at 2929 Henderson Ave. in Dallas.  Parking can be an issue in the Knox/Henderson area, but Sissy's does have valet parking available.  Sissy's specializes in "Southern Style" cooking, so there are plenty of fried items on the menu.   It has been a trendy place lately and was reviewed favorably by The Dallas Morning News and D Magazine.
My beautiful wife with the "Southern" decor in the background
The hostess and wait staff were very friendly and helped make Sissy's warm and inviting from the start.  The decor has a Southern feel with both plates and whitetail deer on the wall.  In addition to the regular menu, they have a chalkboard on the North wall with the daily specials.  For an appetizer, we started with the one of the daily specials, fried green tomatoes, which were served with a shrimp salad.  The batter was tasty and they were fried to perfection.
Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp Salad
For our main course, I chose the Chicken Fried Flat Iron Steak, served with whipped potatoes and a boat of cream gravy.  The chicken fried steak was a little tough, but that was expected since flat iron steaks are cut with the grain.  The batter was crispy and not too thick.  The whipped potatoes may have been the best whipped/mashed potatoes I have ever had.  They cream gravy was excellent as well and was matched perfectly with both items.
Chicken Fried Flat Iron Steak
My wife chose the Gulf Shrimp and Grits for her entree.  The shrimp set on a bed of tomato, piquillo pepper, tasso ham and onion with organic stone ground cheddar grits.  My wife was kind enough to let me try a couple of bites of her meal and I was very impressed.  The tasso ham was very spicy and gave it a little Louisiana kick!
Shrimp and Grits
Following the meal, we perused the dessert menu which included several tasty sounding selections.  My wife let me pick dessert since I let her pick the appetizer.  I chose their version of the chocolate cake which was called "Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake".  It was served with whipped creme and a peanut butter sauce.  The cake was good, but I wasn't overly impressed with it.  In retrospect, I wish I would have chosen the bread pudding or the pecan pie.  I hate having buyer's remorse when it comes to dessert, but I certainly did on this night.
"Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake"
Sissy's was good and my wife and I will be going back so we can try some of the other menu items.  We couldn't agree on a rating for the restaurant.  She said she would give it a 5 on a scale of 5 and I said that I would rate it a 4.  Either way, the food was terrific.  The food, the ambiance, the noise level, and the wait staff were all pleasing.  The only thing I didn't like about Sissy's, was that it was very dark in the main dining room (hence the poor picture quality).  Next time I go, I really want to try the fried chicken.  One of the tables in our vicinity got a bucket of fried chicken and it looked absolutely scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment